Dressing up professionally will leave a positive first impression to the employer if you’re going for a business interview. In fact, it is better being overdressed rather than underdressed, especially if you’re in the corporate world. Remember the popular phrase that goes “always dress for the job you want, not for the job you have.”? That stands true when you are in the stage of life where finding a job is a thing. Read more at chiropractor valley city
Below are several rules for wearing professional attire:
- Be conservative. Remember, you have to do your best to stand out from the rest.
- Being well-groomed is a must before going for an interview. Make sure that your nails are cut, you showered well, your hair is looking neat, and your breath doesn’t stink. For men, it’s also ideal if you shave your facial hair too.
- Jewelry must compliment with the outfit you’re wearing. Make sure that it doesn’t look out of place.
- Always use a briefcase, portfolio, or professional-looking tote bags to put your important documents and other necessary paperwork.
Men and Women Interview Attire Tips
- Wear clean, pressed suit that has conservative shades like Navy Blue, Gray, Brown.
- Light-colored long-sleeved shirt underneath your suit.
- Use plain black colored shows that compliments with the outfit you’re wearing.
Interview Attire Tips Exclusive for Women
- When wearing skirts, make sure that it isn’t shorter nor longer than knee-length.
- Using hosiery such as nylon or tights is definitely a must.
- Don’t put too much make-up on your face. Go for a more natural look.
- Make sure that your hair doesn’t get in the way of your face. Preferably, tie it into a bun to keep it in place.
- When it comes to shoes, opt for low-heeled dress shoes.
Interview Attire Tips Exclusive for Men
- Use a necktie that matches your attire. It’s also ideal to avoid using overly wild pattern/colored ties as it can be a tad distracting.
- Make sure to wear dark socks that covers your legs fully.
Things to Avoid
Below is a list of clothes and accessories you should avoid wearing for both men and women.
- Ultra mini skirt for women
- Low-cut necklines
- Smelly perfume/fragrance
- Makeup that looks like you’re going for a Halloween party
- Any kinds of hats
- Open-toed shoes and spike heels
- Flashy and unnecessary jewelry
Men’s Business Casual Attire Tips
Long-sleeved shirts should be a norm to make you look like a professional. Opt for lighter colors such as white or light blue. You can also alternatively wear striped shirts as well as long as it isn’t distracting to look at. Polo shirts also come in handy if you want to be as casual as possible.
Although not entirely necessary for business casual, ties play a vital role in your attire too. Make sure that you wear ties that aren’t bombarded with patterns and colors that looks like you’re preparing for a circus show.
There are two options for this. You can either trim or completely shave it off. If you don’t want to give up your manly-looking face, then a trim will suffice. If you want to look clean and fresh as you entertain clients, then a clean shave will do.
Leather shoes is a must, especially ones that come in black or brown color. Avoid using running or casual shoes. Remember, you are inside the workplace, not in the gym.
Men can wear watches as long as it compliments your whole attire. Don’t wear colored watches as it looks out of place in your casual business outfit. Smartwatches is also a good option as well if you want to receive phone calls and work emails without checking your phone from time to time.
Women’s Business Casual Attire Tips
For women, make sure that your legs are fully covered by wearing pants or knee-length skirts. You will probably receive negative impressions if you expose your legs too much. Remember, you’re at work, not at a stripper club.
You can wear makeup but don’t overdo it like you’re preparing for a drag show. Keep it simple and natural looking. It’s also important to trim your nails as well. When it comes to nail polish, choose a color that isn’t too distracting.
You can wear jewelry as long as it matches the overall color and design of your business casual outfit. A simple watch will do, as well as a necklace that comes with a simplistic design.
Opt for shoes that are color black, brown, or navy. Avoid wearing shoes that come in white pastel colors as it can look inappropriate inside the workplace. And also, don’t wear shoes that have heels that are higher than the empire state. Keep it at a reasonable length.
A purse will do as long as it doesn’t look exaggerated that’s filled with unnecessary and inappropriate designs. Alternatively, you can also use a simple-looking briefcase as well where you can put your important documents and paperwork.